Monday, February 12, 2018

I thought your sermon was good... BUT

This past Sunday I preached a sermon that first of all... I didn't even like. After preaching I felt icky. I felt that I didn't have enough time to prepare. I didn't sense people were engaged. And I felt that I was all over the place. Whether it is true or not... I don't know... but that is how it felt.

Like most Sunday's I follow the acolyte out and greet people as they exit the church. I make small talk with people as they leave.  In this short moment as people were leaving a lot happens. It is the moment that I hear from the people. It is their turn to talk.  "How was your week? Not good.. this was the one year anniversary of my husband's death..." It becomes a time to offer pastoral care and catch up with folks.

It is also a time for reflection about the sermon. There are Sundays that folks tell me, "you hit it out of the park... or that one went straight to my heart... or good sermon preacher." I appreciate those words. They build me up. The affirmations are great because in less than an hour after I hear those words I am preaching yet again at another church.

Then there are the comments or the critiques. These comments always welcome a conversation but they are always said in jest because a conversation just might challenge what is about to come out of their mouths.

A gentleman, a patriarch in the church and community comes up to me after the service. He puts his arm around me and said, "I thought your sermon was really great, BUT I think it would be even better if you would quit talking to the congregation and stand behind the pulpit. You know you are always talking about change... so you know maybe... you should change."

Side note I preach at the level of the congregation and not behind the pulpit. And I also ask the congregation questions while I preach.

It was the last part that got me. The manipulative part. So often critiques are framed from the perspective of the one giving the critique. It is what they desire. Typically doesn't have me in mind at all. Weeks previously I challenged the congregation to make changes, goals in their lives. My commitment to them was that I was doing the same.

Yet he took a word I preached and twisted it around to fit what he desired.

The way I preach isn't unhealthy at all. It is who I am. And I am sure not telling the congregation to change who they are...

I don't say any of this of course to him. I just say thank you for your feedback... I appreciate your willingness to tell me. But I wanted to say more but I couldn't... I just went on to the next church.

Following worship, a 96-year-old woman (who never compliments my sermons) trying so hard to just hold on to her walker reached her arm over to grab me. She looked at me and said, "That was a good sermon..." Okay... I will hold on to those words...

No comments:

Post a Comment